Mitchell House Guidelines
As a Threshold Housing resident, I agree to the following:
- Alcohol, illegal drugs, and weapons must be kept out of the house and off the property at all times. All non-prescription drug use must be reported to the House Supervisor; continued residency will be at the discretion of the House Supervisor.
- Residents are expected to keep the peace in the neighbourhood (ensure their music & TV cannot be heard outside, use low voice volumes, and mind their language around the neighbours)
- Guests can only be in the house when a staff member is on duty; not all staff have the same hours and residents must check with staff to confirm staffing hours. All guests must make themselves known to the staff member on duty when they arrive and indicate to the staff member when they are leaving. All female guests must remain on main floor and under no circumstances are female guests allowed on the bedroom floor.
- Ensure that all guests (male and female) leave before 10:30 PM on weeknights. All female guests must leave Mitchell House by 10:30pm without exception. Male guests may stay up to 11:30 or midnight on Friday and Saturday evenings only. Residents must be in the same area of the house as their guests and are responsible for their actions. Residents must keep their bedroom door open when any guest is in their bedroom.
- A room check will be done monthly or at the discretion of staff should there be suspicions of drugs, smoking or unknown guests in the room. The House Supervisor will be asking about prescription medications and requesting updates as required.
- Sexual activity must remain out of the house and off the property.
- Smoking is permitted only in designated areas & cigarette butts go in ashtrays.
- Residents must attend a regular day program 5 days per week (work, school, volunteer, or training) and provide evidence of attendance.
- Residents must live in the house; sleep in their room at least 4 nights per week and indicate to the House Supervisor/Weekend Supervisor if they intend on being away for longer than 24 hours. After a 48 hour period of no contact, House Supervisor will submit a “missing person report” to the police. Regardless of the time of the month, and if rent has been paid, after 7 days with no contact, the supervisor will neatly pack the belongings of the absent resident following the abandonment policy.
- Residents will attend weekly house meetings with House Supervisor as required. These meetings will include speakers and presenters from the community. Residents may also meet with House Supervisor as requested.
- Residents are expected to treat house property and their housemates & their housemates’ personal property with gentleness and respect (use proper names, avoid yelling, and keep voice volumes low).
- During their stay at Mitchell House, residents must enrol in and complete a Ready-to-Rent program.
- Food is not permitted in the upstairs area or in the bedrooms. All dishes used must be cleaned every day. Personal belongings must be kept in the resident’s room and Threshold Housing Society holds no responsibility for lost or stolen items.
- Residents are expected to tidy and do a check up on their weekly chore area 3 times a week, and fully clean it once a week as assigned.
Breaking any of these agreements results in a written warning. After 3 warnings there will be a written eviction with 1 month notice (eviction is immediate if there are safety concerns). Having weapons, drugs, alcohol, or overnight guests in the house = immediate eviction. Any threat to the safety of residents, staff, or the houses = Police report + immediate eviction.